Saturday, July 19, 2008

You Can Call Me Commander

Last week I had the privilege of attending Awana Commander College in Wichita. Tim said I didn't need to go to any classes to learn to be commanding, but I commanded him to book me a hotel room, then I commanded him to hand me the keys to his car and away I went, all commander like. I had such a great time...met lots of people; some from huge churches, some from small churches. All with a desire to "reach boys and girls with the Gospel of Christ and train them to serve Him." (That's from the Awana pledge!) We had classes Thursday evening, then all day Friday and Saturday. Friday night, however, we hit the town. Old Cow Town, to be precise. We toured Old Cow Town, then ate a delicious chuckwagon dinner and enjoyed a concert of cowboy music. Everyone laughed so hard at the performers' jokes!

Old Cow Town is a replica of Wichita in the late 1800's. I found some pretty neat things. Like these bleached buffalo bones with...is that a HUMAN SKULL resting on top?? I didn't linger too long in Old Cow Town in case they needed more "props." Like this picture I took just for Sandy. It's a mourning brooch made from the hair of the dearly departed. Ghoulish! I bet she wants one for her birthday.

I immediately thought of the boys when I saw the rules posted in the restored one room schoolhouse. And they think I'm grouchy when we do school!
Although I was undoubtedly excited about Commander College, I really missed All Those Boys!

But there were reminders everywhere.
All in all, it was a great experience and it made me even more excited for Awana to begin. But no matter what, the greatest thing in the whole world is coming back home. :o)

No comments: