Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Well, we've reached another milestone in the highway of life. Apparently it's not enough that the boys are growing up at hyper-sonic speeds. I guess that when they leave the room as toddlers and return a few minutes later as preteens, I should shrug it all off. Okay, I can do that.

But now we've reached braces. That's right, Luke had his first orthodontic torture session last week and emerged with a whole mouth full of metal. He's thrilled! Nick is seething with envy, which thrills Luke even more. And I'm thankful we can provide them for him. I truly am. But as a person who shuns all form of change, I have to say that it's a real bittersweet moment for me to see him with braces. It's not that I'm attached to his crooked teeth. It's just that this is one more step towards him growing up completely. When they come off, he'll be closing in on 16. Think of that.....16 years old. He'll no doubt have a job, maybe a girlfriend (or two), perhaps his own car. And pressures and worries that a mom doesn't like to think of her baby having.

I know, I'm getting ahead of myself. I've still got him with me for a while yet. I'm so glad. Anyway, here is the very first published picture of Luke 'Brace Face' Thomasson!! You probably can't tell from the photo, but he chose red and blue rubber bands so his mouth is actually quite colorful. I think he looks good in metal.

No comments: