Wednesday, June 11, 2008

On The Road Again

Sunday, June 8, a small group of kids from church, including Nick, left for Eminence, MO. Their mission: to have a blast at camp doing such fun things as caving, canoeing, climbing high ropes, staying up too late and playing pranks on each other. You know, camp stuff. I hear there are some really good stories to be told on Nick! I've heard a few already and they are pretty darn funny!

I wasn't invited because I would have been a definite drag, always fretting over my "baby" and generally ruining Nick's great time. I don't have any pictures to post from camp, of course, but I do have a few before and after shots.


Here is the church van, crammed full of luggage. Not only is it impossible for the driver to see out the back, it also lowers the van's gas mileage to 3 m.p.g.

These are the lucky kids who went to Great Gulch and got to spend time with Nick!

After a word of prayer for safety (remember the non-existent back window!!) and a hug from Dad.......

They were off!
We missed Nick so much but we knew he was having a fun time. We didn't know that because he called or anything, because he didn't. He is, after all, 12 and perfectly fine to stay away from home for 5 days regardless of how much Mom was wanting to hear his voice. But we assumed. At any rate, it was so, so good to see his happy, tired form climb out of that van when they got back. Wow! The laundry he brought back was impressive. Good old Missouri cave dirt ground into jeans. Shaving cream encrusted shorts. River water stained shirts. And I didn't care one little bit. I'm so glad he had a memorable time with friends who love him...but I'm more glad he's here with me, who loves him even more.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Donna........
We wish for chocolate covered brownies at work please. Paul, Rich, Julie, myself and many others miss you.....I mean your brownies!!! Paul says, 3 dozen works for him as he cannot stay out of my candy drawer!. Thanks much, Laura